Get my latest newsletters!

Subscribe to prayforsarah

Powered by us.groups.yahoo.com

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Culture
I've been thinking about culture recently. As many of you know we were always told on the Doulos:
"Culture - it's not right, it's not wrong, it's just different"
and I agree with the idea it expresses that when you go to a new culture don't judge it and don't assume your culture is right and theirs is wrong just because it's different to yours. As the visitor you should adapt to the host culture and you shouldn't expect them to adapt to you.
But then some things are wrong. The selfish individualism in the UK is part of the culture but it's also wrong. The crazy driving in the UAE is part of their culture but it's wrong too! So living in another country can help you to leave behind bad parts of your own culture but you can also pick up bad things from the new culture!
I think the key is:
"Don't become so well adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking."
Or in my words:
Become adjusted to any culture as much as you can so long as you've thought about it.
So I'm doing the thinking part now:
Dressing modestly - good idea - OK I'll do it.
Spending obscene amounts of money on designer clothes - bad idea - I won't do it.
Driving without indicating or taking any notice of any other drivers - bad idea.
Living with more interaction with other people, depending on other people, being involved in each others lives - good idea.
(anyone remember those Doulos program room videos?!)
I do find I have less control over my life here which results in me controlling random little things to feel like I'm in control. I did this on the Doulos by only eating Strawberry Jam.
(I mean I ate plenty of other food but the only flavour of jam I would eat is the strawberry one) despite the fact that in blind taste tests no-one could actually tell the difference between strawberry, cherry, rasberry, mixed fruits or even the apricot one. So once the marmite and peanut butter had run out (about half way between each food delivery) I would wander around the whole dining room looking for the strawberry jam.
Here I refuse to drive on Airport road (especially if the journey involves turning left) because it freaks me out - just too many lanes and having to change lanes and yuck so I drive over to Khaleej al Arabi and drive down the island and back over to avoid it even though it's longer because the road is less scary. I can handle it if I turn right onto it and right off of it e.g. to get to church. It's like solving a little puzzle to get places by only turning right!
I have also decided I don't like Al Rawabi milk I think it tastes weird so from now on I'm only going to buy Al Ain or Almarai milk.

These little things really make me feel better!